Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Big Distraction

I’ll be honest, when I’m sitting in class, the internet and my laptop is the biggest distraction. I think that every time Lipton asked us “who here is on Facebook” I hung my head in shame and closed my internet browser. Why would the school give us this luxury? It’s like giving chocolate to an overweight child on a diet and telling him/her not to eat it.

Lipton says he likes the chaos, but it’s hard to pay attention when I have my best friend on MSN telling me about her juicy weekend, or when a little blip pops up on my screen saying, “you have one new message.” Curiosity gets the better of me and I click the little box that takes me to my inbox. Oh look, I think to myself, BCBG is having a sale on winter coats! I have to see them! Maybe I’m just an online shopping addict, but if the internet wasn’t available to me, I wouldn’t have the option to get sidetracted that way.

I sit here blaming the internet for my distracted mind-wandering, but if it weren’t here to tempt me, would I be still be finding it so difficult to stay focused in class? I have to agree that I like the chaos too, it makes the learning experience more interesting, but sometimes it really does feel like too much.

No comments: