Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Information Gluttony

Lipton mentioned that we are in an age of information gluttony, and the idea of this turned on a light bulb for me. I wanted to explore the idea of the “info gluttony” in a greater depth. To me, gluttony is obese excess to a gross amount. So therefore, information gluttony must be a grossly excess amount of information (and I'm taking it to be false or true). Where else can all of this be found? The internet.

We are exposed everyday to more and more “shit” that needs to be dug through. Pointless and meaningless crap that is nothing more than a waste of space and energy. The internet is home to a giant nest of old tin-cans and hair from who knows who. There is more out there than anyone can hope to shovel through. So how does one know what is good? How does one know how to “dig through the shit?”

This question is something I haven’t yet found the answer to. I can only say that I need a bigger shovel, or a smaller pile of poo. Since the latter is not bound to happen, actually it is bound to be the opposite, I think I need to start coming up with rules or guidelines or something that will keep me on track and above the crap.

This metaphor is something that I will contiue to explore in the future, in a less crude way, perhaps.

1 comment:

mark said...

keep in mind my 3 impt ?s: where did i come from? where am i going? how will i get there?

information will help answer these ?s . . . otherwise, it may not be that important.