Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Media Confessions

Lipton asked us, one day in class, to offer up confession. To say something that we did that we were a little embarrassed about. At first I couldn’t think of anything, really I couldn’t, but then I realized what I was doing right then: Facebook Bumper Stickers.
Just like I was addicted to finding or making MSN display pictures, I’m now addicted to going through the thousands of “stickers” that you can post on your page to express yourself.

I don’t know exactly why I get drawn into spending an hour pointlessly flipping through them while I’m watching TV or talking on the phone. I love the cute messages that some of them say: “HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH GORGEOUS CAUSE THEY WILL KILL TO SEE YOU FALL.” I love the power of an image or a colour or a word. The power of letters or text to convey an emotion or a statement or an idea.

I want to be a photographer, as I may have mentioned. Even though I know these are reused pieces of nothing, I still sometimes appreciate the composition of the little piece, the way that it so simply gets a message across without words. It could be best friends hugging and laughing or a young child kicking a soccer ball, but there is an emotion there and I guess I like to live trough it for a moment, as if I am looking back at memories.

I also like the idea of having a picture that is a statement to me and showing it off for everyone to see. Besides my display picture or my likes or dislikes, I don’t have much else to give them an idea of who I am.

It's weird to me that I am embarrassed about spending so much time looking at pictures that aren’t mine, but I suppose if I wanted I could call it a form of art, even if that is getting a little desperate.

1 comment:

mark said...

i like your confession. thank you. this is good work!

your writing in this blog demonstrates a thorough grasp of the subject matter, and an ability to organize and examine the material in a critical and constructive manner.

you show a good understanding of the relevant issues and a familiarity with the appropriate literature and techniques.