Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Grinchlyness

So Christmas is in about a month and I’m starting to feel my regular grinchlyness setting in. My mother was never one to get all festive and send out Christmas cards or put up holy or go crazy over gifts. She just hates spending so much money in the name of love. Love, in her mind, is priceless, and therefore she needn’t receive a single wrapped box to know that those around her love her. She would rather us scrub dishes or help her with the laundry to prove that we care.

Everyone I know is getting in the Christmas cheer and all I can think about is the fact that I’m probably not going to buy anyone gifts because I’m a college student and I’m simply too poor. None-the-less, I joined the floors secret santa, and once i found out who i was buying for I actually started to get really excited aboutbuying her a gift.

I knew the girl very little, pretty much just her name, so I didn’t have a lot to go by. I decided to settle on something that I would want. My mom always says that a good gift is something useful that the receiver wouldn’t go out and buy for themselves. I decided a mickey of Kahlua and four hot chocolate packets would be a perfect thing to get for Christmas.

I’m amazed in how excited I got when it came time to wrap the gift. I elaborately found ways to deceive the opener and disguise the contents of the gift as well as possible. How could I get so excited about a material item that I was giving to someone I barely knew? Was I excited to see her reaction? Was I excited to get my gift from someone else? I don’t think I’ve been this excited about a gift exchange since public school.

No comments: